CRS Rice Bowl, the official Lenten Program of Catholic Relief Services, began in 1975 in the diocese of Allentown, PA. The program originated as a means through which communities could join together and break bread, demonstrating that the nourishment we receive at the table of the Eucharist can be shared with all members of our human family through prayer, fasting, learning, and giving.
CRS Rice Bowl is…
• Prayer – Using the CRS Rice Bowl materials, participants pray and reflect on the realities, challenges, and gifts of the poor around the world.
• Fasting – CRS Rice Bowl’s recipes for simple meals and fasting suggestions help participants use this traditional Lenten practice to express solidarity with their brothers and sisters overseas.
• Learning – Through educational resources and activities incorporating stories and photos from Catholic Relief Services’ work overseas, CRS Rice Bowl participants learn about the lives of neighbors they may never meet.
• Giving – Participants put their faith into action by giving of their time and resources in a thoughtful manner. Since 1975, CRS Rice Bowl participants have raised more than $111 million.
• Development – 75% of CRS Rice Bowl funds support Catholic Relief Services’ development projects to fight hunger overseas. These projects help individuals and communities use their own potential and capacity to improve their lives. By contributing to CRS Rice Bowl, participants give more than money: contributions help provide the resources and training that empower communities to create sustainable change. The remaining 25% of funds stay in your community to fund Catholic Charities hunger programs right here in the Diocese of Cleveland!
NEW for 2014: Download the CRS Rice Bowl App for Android and iPhone
A NEW way to bring Lent to Life!
- Prayerful reflection for each day of Lent
- Customizable tool to set Lenten sacrifice goal and track progress towards its achievement
- Meatless recipes for Fridays during Lent
- Stories and videos of people who benefit from prayers and almsgiving to CRS Rice Bowl