What is Fair Trade?: Fair Trade Is a Commitment to Building Relationships
The idea of fairness in trade is at least as old as our Christian faith. In fact, a good way to think about Fair Trade is to reflect on Jesus’ life as a carpenter, when he worked alongside his adoptive father, Joseph, and before he began his public ministry. At its heart, Fair Trade is about building respectful, enduring relationships.
CRS believes that Fair Trade embodies a comprehensive set of criteria, including, at a minimum, the following commitments:
- Paying a fair wage in the local context
- Offering employees opportunities for advancement
- Providing equal employment opportunities for all people, particularly the most disadvantaged
- Engaging in environmentally sustainable practices
- Being open to public accountability
- Building long-term trade relationships
- Providing healthy and safe working conditions within the local context
- Providing financial and technical assistance to producers whenever possible
These criteria were drawn from the Fair Trade Federation, a trade association for Fair Trade businesses in the United States and Canada.
Where can I purchase Fair Trade Products in Cleveland?