To coach in the Diocese of Cleveland CYO an individual must meet the following criteria:
- Grade School Teams – Must be 19 years of age or older & approved by the Member Administrator and Athletic Director of the sponsoring member
- High School Teams – Must be 25 years of age or older & approved by the Member Administrator and Athletic Director of the sponsoring member.
- Grade School Teams – Must be 16 years of age or older & approved by the Member Administrator and Athletic Director of the sponsoring member
- High School Teams – Must be 18 years of age or older & approved by the Member Administrator and Athletic Director of the sponsoring member.
Every coach, head and assistant, must attend the Coaches Development Program, and complete the requirements below before coaching their first practice.
Each coach has to also complete the following requirements:
- Volunteer application. Obtain a copy of the application from your Volunteer Coordinator or member Athletic Director.
- Attend Virtus or an approved abuse prevention program. To register, click here Virtus. You will need to click FIRST TIME REGISTRANT BUTTON to create an account. (If you had created an account previously, you will sign in with your username and password). You will need to select Cleveland Diocese in the drop down and then you will see the locations. Here is a quick link to Virtus Sessions locations. Assistant Coaches ages 16-17 are not required to complete Virtus.
- Read and acknowledge the Diocese of Cleveland, “Policy for the Safety of Children in Matters of Sexual Abuse.” Policy of Safety of Children
- Read and acknowledge the Diocese of Cleveland, “Standards of Conduct for Ministry” Standards of Conduct
- Fingerprint based background check. (Fingerprinting is available at each CDP session; along with some Virtus sessions). Check with your parish/school to verify how current yours is.
- Concussion Awareness Program. For more information, click here Concussion Course. This must be renewed every 3 years.
- Sudden Cardiac Arrest (SCA) Training aka Lindsay’s Law. View the SCAT video now and read the Coach Information Sheet. Please note that there is a separate coach and parent component.
Once a coach completes all of the Diocesan requirements, the member’s volunteer coordinator will issue the coaching credential.
Every coach that is on a sideline/bench must wear their credential throughout the CYO event.
Responsibilities of a CYO Coach
- Coaches are responsible to know and be an example of the CYO Mission and Philosophy outlined in Articles 2 and 3 of the Charter for the Diocese of Cleveland.
- Coaches are required to attend annual pre-season coaches meetings and identified training sessions.
- Coaches are responsible to teach the rules of the sport and the proper skills, techniques, strategies, and tactics for their sport in an age appropriate manner.
- Coaches are responsible to conduct themselves in an appropriate fashion at practice and competitions, to wear required credentials and to be in accordance with Bylaw 8.
- Coaches are responsible for supervision of their team at practice and competitions. Coaches are also responsible for the conduct of their spectators at competitions.
- Coaches must be represented at all scheduled practices, games and other events.
- Coaches may not hold “closed practices”. Parents, CYO leaders, and Parish leadership may attend practices and contests and are expected to demonstrate behaviors that uphold the mission, values, and best practices of CYO.
- It is recommended and encouraged to have women acting as head or assistant coaches in girls’ sports. When a girl’s team is coached by men only, it is required that a woman 18 years of age or older be associated with the team, and in attendance at all practices and games. In the case of a woman coaching a boys team, it is required that a man 18 years of age or older be associated with the team, and is in attendance at all practices and games