Coaches Development Program (CDP) is rooted in the mission and values of the Diocese of Cleveland CYO. The intent of the CDP is to offer an informational and educational leadership-training program for youth coaches in the CYO. The program contains interactive sessions for the topics of “Youth Ministry Through Athletics”, “CYO Governance & Risk Management”, “Helping Young Athletes Safely Excel in Sports” and “Coaching Pedagogy”.
At the completion of the course, each coach should be able to identify the elements of a successful coach in CYO. By accepting the responsibility to coach in CYO Athletics, you are expected to maintain a standard for excellence. Every coach, head and assistant, must attend the Coaches Development Program.
A coach may complete part of the requirements online. CYO accepts the National Federation of High Schools core courses; “Fundamentals of Coaching” or “First Aid, Health & Safety for Coaches” in lieu of the Sports Medicine and/or Pedagogy sessions of the CDP. If a CYO coach presents proof of completion (Course Certificates) of these NFHS core courses when they register or arrive at a CDP location, they can reduce the time required to be in attendance at the CDP. Use this link to register for the NFHS core courses nfhslearn. To receive a lower registration fee, register “outside the US”. If you feel that you may coach High School or Middle School sports at an OHSAA school, please select “Ohio” (OHSAA requires the Ohio course and fee).
Before a coach receives their credentials, they must complete the CDP program, as well as complete the following Diocesan requirements:
- Read and acknowledge the Diocese of Cleveland, “Policy for the Safety of Children in Matters of Sexual Abuse.” Policy of Safety of Children
- Read and acknowledge the Diocese of Cleveland, “Standards of Conduct for Ministry” Standards of Conduct
- Completed a volunteer application. Obtain a copy of the application from your Volunteer Coordinator or member Athletic Director.
- Attended an approved abuse prevention/Virtus program. To register, click here Virtus. You will need to click FIRST TIME REGISTRANT BUTTON to create an account. (If you had created an account previously, you will sign in with your username and password). Here is a quick link to Virtus Sessions locations. You will need to select Cleveland Diocese in the drop down and then you will see the locations.
- Complete a fingerprint based background check.
- Complete a Concussion Awareness Program. For more information click here Concussion Information.
- The law requires all of Ohio’s teachers and coaches to undergo education on recognizing the symptoms of Sudden Cardiac Arrest (SCA), approved by the department of health, on an annual basis. The Ohio High School Athlete Association along with the Ohio Department of Health and the Ohio Department of Education have completed the training material and have made it available at this link Lindsay’s Law. Please note that there is a separate coach and parent component. Please review the material for use at your upcoming parish/school parent meetings as well as coach’s meetings.Once a coach completes the CDP, he/she will be issues a coaching lanyard.
Once a coach completes all of the Diocesan requirements, the member’s volunteer coordinator will issue the coaching credential.
The coaches validation sticker is no longer required in order to be eligible to coach. Every coach that is on a sideline/bench must wear their credential throughout the CYO event.
The program is offered throughout the year at locations across the Diocese of Cleveland. Coaches can registration on-line be clicking the button above. Select the Coaches Development Program, and be prepared to pay the $35.00 fee with a Visa or MasterCard.
CDP Session Schedule (Weeknight/Saturday)
Registration, Fingerprints and Food (4:45pm/7:45am)
Welcome & Prayer (6:00pm/9:00am)
Youth Ministry Through Athletics (6:05pm/9:05am)
CYO Governance & Risk Management (7:05pm/10:05am)
Coaching Pedagogy (7:25pm/10:25am)
Helping Young Athletes Safely Excel in Sports (8:25pm/11:25am)
Evaluation & Closing Prayer (8:55pm/11:55am)