Availability: Monday though Friday, evenings and weekends as needed.
Fees: There are no fees for Birth Parents considering Adoption. A sliding fee schedule is available for Adoptive Families based on household income.
Catholic Charities Adoption program has been providing Adoption Services throughout the eight (8) counties of the Catholic Diocese of Cleveland for over 100 years. Catholic Charities assists and supports birth families who may be scared, overwhelmed or just wanting what is best for their child now and in the future.
We also assist families who wish to grow their family through adoption.
To get more information about setting up a meeting to discuss placing your child for adoption or adopting a child, please call our office at 440.843.5631 or fill out the Inquire about Adopting form.
Birth Family Information:
- Counseling – Pregnant? Scared? Overwhelmed? Catholic Charities can help! We offer free counseling to birth parents who are considering adoption for their child. Whether an adoptive placement decision is made or you decide to parent, Catholic Charities staff are there to support you and your decision. We will explain how the Adoption process works and plan with you every step of the way. Please see our Frequently Asked Questions for Birth Parents.
Adoptive Family Information:
- Homestudy – The homestudy approval completion is the first step after an orientation meeting toward building your family. The homestudy consists of joint and individual interviews, references, medical statements, financial statements, criminal background clearances, a site and safety check of your home as well as other required documentation. Catholic Charities is a licensed adoption agency through the Ohio Department of Job & Family Services and we can complete your homestudy.
- Placement – A child can join your family just as soon as the “right” child is identified. Answering how long it will take to receive a placement is impossible to do. The best advice we can offer is to tell our families to be proactive!
- Legalization – Following an adjustment period, your adoption will be finalized in approximately six months (as is required in Ohio). Catholic Charities can help complete the paperwork and filing in court.
- Ongoing Support – Adoption is a life-long commitment and Catholic Charities is there every step of the way to provide additional services that address the unique challenges of adoptive families, including specialized counseling, background information, access to other community-support services and more.
Building a family through Adoption begins with an orientation meeting where families have the opportunity to discuss the Adoption process with Catholic Charities’ staff. Contact our office to request an informational packet.