Important information concerning Catholic Charities and your donation.
“As each one has received a gift, use it to serve one another as good steward of God’s varied grace.” (1 Peter 4:10)
Stewardship is a core value at Catholic Charities, Diocese of Cleveland; we take the trust you place in us very seriously when you make a gift to our programs and the Annual Appeal. Therefore, we understand you may have questions regarding our response to two recent, separate incidents of employee theft. We are justifiably outraged and shocked at the actions of these former employees and have taken bold, aggressive steps to prevent employee theft in the future.
Under the oversight of our Audit Committee, Board of Directors, and Chief Executive officer, numerous actions have been initiated to guard against similar actions:
- Processes at all locations were thoroughly examined by Financial Management and our external auditors to identify and address any potential control weaknesses.
- We have converted all payments possible from paper check to electronic deposit.
- Software enhancements have been purchased that will enable automated and accurate reconciliation of accounts receivable to the general ledger.
- We engaged a new accounting firm to conduct our annual audit and to do additional assessments of our financial controls and procedures.
- We are in the process of establishing an internal auditor position that will report directly to the Audit Committee of the Board and the President of Catholic Charities.
- An insurance claim was filed and a forensic auditing firm engaged. The vast majority of the funds were recovered through the insurance claim.
- We will pursue restitution from the perpetrators through the Court of the small amount of funds that were not recovered.
Should you have any questions about your donation or our commitment to stewardship, please contact Samantha Mealy at firstname.lastname@example.org.