Welcome to the Diocese of Cleveland CYO Winter 2017-18 Sports Season. Please refer to the program section of the website for sport specific information.
WINTER IMPORTANT DATES
- October 1 Registration opens
- October 21-22 Dick’s Sporting Goods CYO Shop Day
- October 28-Nov.12 Winter sports coaches and players clinics
- November 1 Winter season begins, practice may begin
- November 1 Early registration period ends for grade school teams
- November 3 Regular registration period ends
- November 3 Eligibility request forms due for grade school teams
- November 3 Merger applications due
- November 5 Late registration period ends for grade school teams
- November 6 Team confirmation forms & payments due for grade school teams
- November 7 Last day to enter grade school teams’ blackouts
- November 6-8 Winter sports coaches meetings – all sports
- November 8 Early registration period ends for high school and adult teams
- November 10 Regular registration period ends for high school & adult teams
- November 10 Eligibility request forms due for high school teams
- November 12 Late registration period ends for high school teams
- November 13 High school team confirmation forms & payments due
- November 13-15 Basketball site director meetings
- November 14 Last date to enter high school teams’ blackouts
- November 12-19 Basketball scorer and timers trainings
- November 22 Grade School and High School State Qualifying schedules available online
- November 29 High School Local Divisions schedules available online
- December 1 Deadline to register grade school players & coaches on rosters online
- December 2 Grade school basketball and High School State Qualifying regular
season competition begins
- December 8 Deadline to register high school players & coaches on rosters online
- December 9 High School Local Divisions regular season competition begins
- December 15 Last day to add to the grade school rosters to meet minimum number
- December 22 Last day to add to the high school rosters to meet minimum number
- Dec. 18-Jan. 5 Christmas Break – No regular season games
- January 13-14 Parent’s day at the games
- January 21 Team Mass Sunday
- Feb. 10- March 4 Diocese of Cleveland CYO Championship Tournaments
- March 4 Winter season ends
- March 9-11 Ohio State High School Boys & Girls Tournament in Toledo
Eligibility Request Forms (ERF)
- Athletes from another member parish/school need meet the eligibility requirements of By-law 3 and have an approved ERF to participate on your team. Visit our Eligibility Center page for ERF forms and information.
- Athletes submitted on an ERF may NOT participate in a practice or game without an approval of CYO. Work on the premise that ERF’s are not automatically approved.
- It is the responsibility of the member Athletic Director to submit completed forms by the deadline date. Remember to work on the premise that ERF’s are not automatically approved.
Appointing and Training Coaches
- Appointing a qualified and age appropriate teacher for your teams is a vital responsibility for every member Athletic Director. Remember the coach can touch the young lives of their players in a positive and negative way. Please be responsible when making these choices.
- Each head coach is expected to attend a preseason coach’s meeting. Inform them of the date, time, and location of the meetings. Coaches may attend any of the meetings. Updated rules and policies will be presented at the meeting. In addition, season stickers will be distributed and your coaches won’t want to miss the Pedagogy session!
- A coach may only be the head coach of one team per season.
- Visit the Coaches Development Program page to review the requirements to be a CYO Coach. When appointing your coaches, all head and assistant coaches must have credentials in order to coach and must meet the age requirement as outlined in the Charter & Bylaws.
Members that manually register in SportsPilot only use the link below to access the on-line registration window. Sync members must register through their sync portal URL link that SportsPilot sent you when your sync database was created.
All members must sign in using your CYO assigned member athletic director username (i. e. Joe Smith AD2018) in order to register your teams, coaches and athletes. This is done so you do not overwrite your member athletic director record. Simply find the program you wish to register and its division and submit your information. Reference the Team Registration Help Tab for Non-Sync and Sync member step-by-step instructions.
- To complete the “Team Strength” when registering 7th and 8th grade teams. A is the highest, AA is average and B is the lowest.
- To include the Number of Players by Grade. This helps us to place your team in the correct conference. Please remember to fill out the number of athletes by grade. For grade three, list this information in the notes section.
- To enter the dates a team cannot play by the entry deadline. The “Team Blackout” dates must be entered electronically into the team profile. Remember team blackout dates may not be honored during the playoffs.
- If you “Sync” your teams, please do not wait until the last minute to complete the task, and be careful that your team name is in the approved format.
- When adding athletes, give special attention to physical exam dates that may expire during the season. Exams are valid for 13 months from the date of the exam, please make sure athletes always have a current physical.
It is very important the you enter your teams properly into the SportsPilot registration software. If you need help registering your teams, reference the documents below, or call 216.334.1261 ext 14.