CYO WINTER SPORTSMANSHIP
The Mission Statement of the Catholic Youth Organization is: CYO Forms young people in Christian community as followers of Jesus Christ. CYO promotes participation and sportsmanship to foster the total development of participants and influence the formation of Christian values.
To help celebrate our mission, the Diocese of Cleveland CYO is sponsoring a Sportsmanship Team Award for this season. Teams from each grade school division will be recognized for their demonstration of Good Sportsmanship either on February 25 at Cleveland State University or February 28 at the University of Akron.
Coaches, Officials, Athletic Directors, Commissioners, Parents and Site Directors have the opportunity to nominate other teams in their league for this recognition. Please take the time to nominate a team that you feel demonstrates our CYO Philosophy and the ideals of Christian Sportsmanship. PLEASE DO NOT NOMINATE YOUR OWN TEAM. You are nominating the TEAM, not the coach.
From these nominations, teams will be selected and then notified. Recipients of the award may attend either game. The CYO Sportsmanship Award Teams will be presented with certificates and other items as acknowledgment for building the City of God in CYO gyms.
Nominations are due by Sunday, January 29, 2017. For games and discount ticket information, please download the fliers below:
2016 FALL SPORTSMANSHIP NIGHT HIGHLIGHTS
Sportsmanship & Positive Behavior continues to be something at the core of the CYO experience. We are all called to display the Gospel message we hear each week when we are at home, school, work or a CYO game. CYO teams, coaches and spectators are expected to conduct themselves in a manner that game officials and those sitting around you feel shows respect and dignity towards its opponent.
Diocese of Cleveland CYO recently honored 35 fall sports teams for its annual Sportsmanship Award ceremonies that were held at Cleveland State University, Friday, October 28, and Saturday, October 29 at the University of Akron and Sunday, November 5 at John Carroll University.
Congratulations to all teams and coaches:
Gesu 8th Grade Football – Patrick Krebs, Holy Family-Parma 7th Grade Volleyball – Carolyn Sabo, Holy Trinity Avon 5th Grade Football – Terry Riley, Lakewood Catholic Academy 5th Grade Volleyball – Suzanne Cortes, Our Lady of Angels 8th Grade Football – Wayne Naida, Our Lady of Angels 8th Grade Volleyball – Kerry Malloy, Seton Catholic Boys Cross Country – Jessica Plaspohl, Ss. Peter & Paul Doylestown 6th Grade Volleyball – Joseph Snyder, St. Ambrose 6th Grade Football- Dan Mog, St. Barnabas 8th Grade Cheer – Rebecca Mittler, St. Basil the Great Boys & Girls Cross Country – Brad Polman, St. Basil the Great – 6th Grade Volleyball- Julie Caputo, St. Benedict 6th Grade Volleyball – Karen Flynn, St. Benedict 7th Grade Volleyball – Bill Gajewski, St. Bernadette 6th Grade Volleyball – Al Vasek, St. Brendan 4th Grade Volleyball – Jen Hickey, St. St. Columbkille 6th Grade Cheer – Melissa Curtain, St. Columbkille 5th Grade Football – Tony Toth, St. Francis of Assisi 5th Grade Football – Kevin Rottinghaus, St. Francis of Xavier 8th Grade Volleyball – David Fletcher, St. Gabriel 6th Grade Cheer – Ava Nelson, St. Gabriel Boys Cross Country – Mark Myllykoski, St. Gabriel 8th Grade Football – Mike Malcheski, St. Hilary 5th Grade Football – Mark Gore, St. Ignatius of Antioch 5th grade Volleyball – Bonnie McDaniel, St. John Vianney 6th Grade Volleyball- Suzanne Cason, St. Joseph Avon Lake 6th Grade Volleyball – Erin Hess, St. Jude 4th Grade Volleyball – Cassandra Eckerman, St. Jude 6th Grade Volleyball – Cara Shebak, St. Leo the Great 4th Grade Volleyball – Jocelyn Riley, St. Mary Elyria 7th Grade Volleyball – Brian Kneisel, St. Matthew Boys Cross Country – Tricia Kelly, St. Michael 6th Grade Football – Dennis Corrigan, St. Peter Lorain 7th Grade Volleyball – Lydia Karpinski.
Thank you to all the team, coaches and parents that attended the events and those who nominated the recipients.
Diocese of Cleveland CYO Membership Conference
The 2016 CYO Membership Conference had many highlights as over 125 CYO leaders and partners joined together for a memorable day. Here are a few snapshots of a terrific day for all:
- The new CYO Charter and Bylaws has 5 less pages and you are now an athletic director, your teams have grade names, and the ERF and merger processes have been vastly improved so that more children can participate in CYO with less administrative demands. Check out new guest player rules!
- The CYO Strategic Plan has completed year one that led to the above changes along with a renewed commitment for parents, CYO member programs, and CYO administration to “learn how to be together in a new way.” Our partnership is growing and that is great news for all.
- CYO has entered into a new partnership with the University of Notre Dame Play Like a Champion Today program that includes adding advanced coaches training to our existing CYO Coaches Development Program.
- Clark Power, Founding Director of the University of Notre Dame Play Like a Champion Today program gave an extraordinary keynote that included the Long Term Athlete Development Model as a way to form elite athletes while honoring the physical, emotional, spiritual, and moral development of every child in CYO.
- 17 CYO Member programs received checks for more than $32,000 in Grants from the Bishop Roger Gries Good Shepherd Fund to allow more children to participate in CYO. Bishop Roger offered his words of gratitude and appreciation while also distributing the checks to the CYO program leaders.
- CYO Athletic Director’s received training in the areas of the Guest Player rule, ERF’s and Unified Programs, and CYO Team Formation and Placement as an expression of CYO mission and values.
- CYO Athletic Director and Strategic Planning Committee member Kim Tuchek from St. Francis Xavier in Medina shared her beautiful and inspiring witness of loving God and young people through her role as a CYO Athletic Director.
- CYO Athletic Director’s learned the latest about resources from Sports Pilot, Privit, Akron Children’s Hospital and other organizations seeking to partner with CYO.
Below are a few highlights photos from the conference!