To be eligible to participate in the Diocese of Cleveland CYO the child must meet one of the following criteria:
Parish Membership – The individual’s parent(s)/guardian(s) are registered members of a Catholic parish within the Diocese of Cleveland or other approved areas.
School Enrollment – The individual attends a Catholic school within the Diocese of Cleveland or other approved area.
Parish School of Religion(PSR) or RCIA for Children Enrollment – The individual is enrolled and regularly attends the PSR or RCIA in the current school year of the sponsoring parish and lives within the defined boundaries of the parish that would sponsor the team. The individual must also submit an Eligibility Request Form and attend six (6) religious education sessions before they are eligible to participate in competitions.
If the individual meets one of the criteria above, then you can review the report below for a listing of parishes/schools and the sports in which they had teams during the 2015-16 athletic year. The parish/school that had a team in the sports are highlighted in yellow, those that were part of a merger have an “M” at the end of the highlighted text.
If your parish/school does not have a team in the sport you wish to play, you will need to contact the CYO parish/school that is nearest to your residence for information on their offerings. To find out which parish/school is the nearest to your residence, you must use the Diocese of Cleveland Parish Locator by clicking here. Simply type in your complete address, set the distance to “10 miles” and click search. Compare the parishes/schools on your search report to the CYO Member Sport Report above and contact the one nearest to your home for information.
PREPARTICIPATION (Physical) FORM
Each child that wishes to participate in the Diocese of Cleveland CYO must have a current and complete Preparticipation Form on file with the sponsor of the team before they participate in any practice, scrimmage or competition. The Preparticipation Form consists of 3 parts; the information and release section, the physical exam section and the emergency medical authorization. All three sections must be complete and current in order for the form to be valid and for the child to authorized to participate in practices, scrimmages or games. The Preparticipation Form will become invalid in any of the information contained in the information/release section or emergency medical authorization section of the form changes or if 13 months have elapsed since the date of the physical exam.
ELIGIBILITY REQUEST FORMS (Bylaw 3)
If your parish/school does not sponsor a team in the sport in which you wish to play, an Eligibility Request Form(ERF) will need to be completed and approved before the child can participate in any practice, scrimmage or competition. Parent’s can download the form, read the directions on how to complete the form and then once section 1 is complete, submit the ERF to the Athletic Director of the sponsoring team.
If there are a group of children from the same parish/school, wishing to play on the same team, that after completing the Parish Locator process for each individual address, ALL have the parish/school sponsoring the team as their nearest CYO Member, a Group Eligibility Request Form may apply. Parent’s can download the form, read the directions on how to complete the form and then contact the Athletic Director of the sponsoring team for the process to complete the form. Please note that the Group ERF cannot be used for children from different teams or different parishes/schools nor for those that are not nearest to the sponsor of the team according to the Parish Locator.
MERGERS FOR THE PURPOSE OF FIELDING A TEAM (Bylaw 8)
In order to provide the best experience for the young person as possible, it may be necessary for members to consult with other members to discuss the possibility of sponsoring a combined team when Member Organizations do not have a sufficient number of young people to play a sport or form a team. In order to maintain a competitive balance among teams, up to five (5) regular or Unified Program members, parishes or schools may combine for the purpose of fielding an athletic team. A Merger may be sought as a last resort if:
- A member does not have a viable number of children to field a team of their own.
- A member does not have access to practice facilities without combining with other members.
- A member does not have anyone eligible to coach the group of players.
- The merger would create an opportunity for the players to compete at their own grade level, instead of needing to move up a division/level to have a viable number of players within the parish/school.
- All registered, eligible and interested children of the grade/gender involved in the merger will participate for the combined team.
Special Items related to a Merger
- All athletes from all parties to the merger are required to participate on the approved merged team(s).
- The sponsoring member is prohibited from recruiting, rostering or using players from other parishes/schools that are not included in the Merger Application. Merged teams cannot accept ERF’s as an avenue to have players to be eligible for the team’s roster.
- The Merger Application must be signed by all Member Administrators, Pastors or Administrators and member athletic directors involved in the combination because all of the parties to the merger are accepting a level of responsibility and liability for the overall team(s) involved.
- With diocesan administration approval, members may be added to the Merger Application until 10 days before the start of the season.
- If consistent conditions resulting in the merger would apply from year to year, a Standing Merger will be considered by the diocese administration. When approved, the Standing Merger will be in effect for a maximum of three (3) years. The member should consider the Unified Program (see Article 4-5) process if the situation would be ongoing.
Merger Applications and accompanying documentation must be submitted to Noelia Speringo at the CYO Office – 7911 Detroit Ave., Cleveland, 44102 or email@example.com