Click on the files below to download them.
Please complete this form when an athlete experiences a concussion at a CYO practice or game.
This form, indicating the status of the athlete, must be completed and submitted before an athlete diagnosed with a concussion is permitted to return to participation in practice or games.
The Ohio Return to Play Law regarding concussions in youth sports went into effect on April 26, 2013. The law aims to assure the proper recognition of and response to possible head injuries in youth sports.
There are a number of requirements to comply with the law.
- All Coaches and Officials in CYO are required to complete free on-line course provided by the National Federation of State High School Associations called “Concussion in Sports – What You Need to Know”. It is available at nfhslearn.com. Coaches and officials need to click the “order here” button and complete a brief registration form to take the course. Follow these steps to register and complete the course:
- Click on the button that says, please login to order. In the window that appears, click Register Now.
- When your registration is complete you may “order” the free concussion course offered along the left hand side of the page. Continue following prompts. Although it may look like you’ll be charged for the course, there is no cost.
- Once you’ve completed “checkout,” you’ll be able to take the free online course.
- When you’ve completed and passed the course, you should print the certificate of completion and give it to your Pastoral Designee. The record of your course completion will also be registered and available on-line.
- Parents of each participant must be given the “Ohio Department of Health Concussion Information Sheet for Youth Sports Organizations” prior to participating in practice. This handout is available at the top of this page.
- If a concussion is suspected/diagnosed, the Incident Report noted above must be completed immediately and the participant’s parents notified.
- Prior to participation in practice or games, a participant that has a suspected or diagnosed concussion must submit the Return to Play Release noted above.
Through CYO’s partnership with University Hospitals and Akron Children’s Hospital, parents may take their athletes to receive free concussion baseline testing. This is valuable if a child experiences a head injury. The child can be tested after the injury to assist with the assessment of the effects of the head injury in light of the baseline information. CYO is pleased that our partners are offering this service to CYO athletes for free.
Thank you Athletic Directors, Coaches, Officials and Parents for your commitment and timely follow through to provide a safe and medically responsive experience by following these steps and attending to these requirements. Please do not hesitate to contact the CYO Office if there is anything we can do to assist you regarding this matter. We look forward to working with you to provide all CYO participants with an environment and experience that achieves our mission: “CYO inspires young people to know God, to love God, and to serve God through athletics.